Gloss Tester | Glossiness Measurement of Coated Paper
1. What is the gloss of coated paper?
The gloss of coated paper can be defined as the total amount of specular reflection light on its surface, which can be measured by a professional gloss meter. Due to the characteristics of different papers and the quality of the coating, there will be differences in the surface gloss of the coated paper. After hearing the gloss test, you can distinguish the optical performance quality of different coated papers.
Coated paper is a layer of paint on the base paper. The paper surface has good optical properties and printing properties, and is mainly used for printing impurities, books and other publishing papers, and printing papers such as trademarks, packaging, and catalogs. Such as good opacity and gloss, more appropriate ink absorption and color reduction, especially paper gloss and printing gloss will be significantly improved. Coated paper is a relatively typical type of coated paper.
Coated paper, commonly known as coated paper, there are many types, which can be used for printing a variety of color prints. The coated paper can be divided into the following categories:
(1) Single-sided coated paper: coated and calendered on one side, glued on one side. The two sides of the paper have different properties and are suitable for printing on both sides.
(2) Double-sided coated paper: coated on both sides with calendering, the bottom surface is shiny. It is suitable for general color printing.
(3) Special double-sided coated paper: coated with calendering on both sides, it has better gloss than ordinary double-sided coated paper. And its surface is smooth and detailed, suitable for printing bright objects that need to express metallic texture.
(4) Embossed coated paper: Paper coated on both sides and then embossed. The paper has a low gloss. After the embossing, the paper mask has a three-dimensional effect, which is suitable for oil painting reproduction, art advertising design and other color printing.
(5) Lightweight coated paper: The surface is lightly coated and has better surface properties than non-coated paper.
2. How to measure the gloss of coated paper?
In order to accurately evaluate the gloss of coated paper, we need to use a professional LS192 gloss tester. Coating gloss refers to the ratio of the coated paper specular reflectance at a certain angle to the specular reflectance of standard black glass at the same angle. The specular reflectance of standard black glass is specified as 100%, which is denoted as 100 degree. The paper's specular reflectance is the percentage of standard black glass specular reflectance. When measuring the gloss, the results are different depending on the incident angle of the selected light. Therefore, the gloss value depends not only on the surface characteristics of the object, but also on the measurement angle. For specific measurements, you must determine the measurement angle. For most papers, 75 degrees is a better measurement angle. Wax paper gloss is 20 degrees. The gloss of high-gloss coated paper is 45 and 60 degrees.
The general angle on the market is a 60-degree angle. Like the general-purpose 60-degree gloss tester LS192 from Linshang Technology, the measurement range reaches 1000GU. High-gloss and low-gloss materials can be tested because gloss is a relative value. When there is no uniform standard in the industry, the LS192 gloss tester can be used for testing. If the industry has a uniform standard, it is best to use the same angle of testing. Therefore, when selecting the measurement angle, you should choose differently according to different situations.