How Do We Test the Gloss of Painted Parts?
1. What should we do if the gloss of the paint is too high?
The gloss of paint pieces is related to the specular reflection produced on the surface. The flatness of the paint film surface, the properties of the pigment , the size and dispersion of the particles may cause the change of surface specular reflection characteristics. If the measured gloss of the painted parts is too high, we can do the matting treatment in the following ways.
(1) Extinction treatment of the high-gloss paint used can add various matting agents in the paint.
(2) If it is colored paint, the influence of dispersant must be considered. After relevant tests, the same formula is used with different dispersants. This is because when an inappropriate dispersant is used, the pigment will flocculate and the particles will become coarse, which will inevitably affect the gloss.
(3) The pigment-base ratio in the paint has an effect on the gloss of the paint film. As the pigment particles in the paint film weaken the specular reflection. The gloss gradually decreases with the increase of the pigment volume concentration (P.V.C).
2. How to test the gloss of paint parts?
Gloss is a surface property that makes an object look shiny. It is related to the specular reflection on the object surface. For the gloss of paint parts, there can be many different glosses. In order to accurately evaluate the surface gloss of paint parts, a paint gloss meter needs to be used for measurement.
Different methods of gloss measurement can be used to measure different aspects of the gloss phenomenon. For example, high-gloss paint parts can use the 20 ° specular gloss measurement method. This angle refers to the angle between the incident angle and the viewing angle in the vertical plane of the detection surface. For low-gloss paint parts, the 85 ° specular glossiness measurement method can be used. . The 60 ° specular gloss measurement method can be used to measure the surface gloss of various gloss types of painted parts.
The 60-degree angle generally used on the market is like LS192, a universal 60-degree paint gloss testing equipment from Linshang Technology. High gloss materials can be tested because the gloss is a relative value. When there is no uniform standard in the applied industry, it can be tested with the LS192 gloss testing equipment. If the industry has a uniform standard, it is best to use the same angle of testing.
3. Paint gloss level range
The gloss of paint pieces can be divided according to the following gloss. Generally, 75 GU or more can be called high-gloss paint and 50-75 GU can be called flat paint, 10-50 GU is called matte paint. (Measuring angle is 60 °). This classification standard is suitable for the determination of colored paints, but not for the gloss of colored paints containing metal pigments.